Friday 18 October 2013

Checking In

So the last few weeks/months seem to have come straight from hell - special delivery too, might I add. After my last post, my gran deteriorated with alarming speed. An infection of some sort, and the whole heart rate thing were the cause of that. I visited her on Saturday evening and she was, obviously, very ill but she was also fairly stable. By Monday she could barely breathe on her own and, when I saw her in the early afternoon, had been moved to ICU.
At 5am on Tuesday morning, I got a call saying that we had to go in. The nurses at the hospital didn't think my gran would live long enough for us to get there. She held on for another hour and died just after 6am. It came out of nowhere and left us all in a shambles.

The three of us, my mum, auntie and I, organised the majority of the funeral details together. The day itself went without a hitch - for the most part - and there was a huge turnout at both the church and the crematorium. It just went to show how well-loved my gran was.

After that, I had a disciplinary at work for my absence at the end of August. After I explained to them how close I came to taking my own life they decided it would be against the company values to discipline me. They didn't do anything particularly helpful and I was allowed one day's worth of compassionate leave - my gran practically raised me so, even though I wasn't really entitled to any leave since she 'wasn't a direct relative', my special circumstances warranted a day off to organise the funeral.
Work's not gotten any better, I still pretty much hate it. The customers are awful and the staff aren't much better and, in all honesty, I can't wait for something else to come up so that I can leave.

In other news, college is going pretty well and I'm midway through my first two proper, graded projects (see my latest project here). On an even more fun (and nerve-wracking) note, NaNoWriMo is almost upon us! 50k words in 30 days whilst also working, studying and trying to corral a region for the first time? Total cake-walk...

No comments:

Post a Comment