Thursday 7 November 2013

Lament Of The Girl At The Rock Show

This week, the rock and metal scene in Newcastle took two heavy blows. 

Trillians Rock Bar, formerly The Man In The Moon, closed down. Permanently. One day it was there and the next, with no warning whatsoever, it was closed. It's parent company went into administration and thusly, the management and all of the staff were made redundant, effective immediately. Of all the pubs and bars in Newcastle, Trillians wasn't the best but it was my favourite. 
It was a little shabby, a bit cramped and kind of dark. It didn't serve food anymore and it was a touch expensive on the spirits but it was a rock bar and it was home. It was one of my favourite music venues - tiny, packed gigs every week - and it had the best, worst pub quiz in the world on Sunday nights. I still can't believe that it's gone really - despite it being empty most of the time, I always just thought that it'd last forever. It's the place my mum used to go when she was my age. Everyone seems to have been and loved it there. I have some amazing memories there and it'll always be held in high regard - no matter how shitty it was at times, it was a home away from home.

The other blow was Legends. After I turned eighteen, I spent 102 consecutive weekends there - only missing two, one for illness and one because I was in Germany. Sad, I know, but that's just what my friends and I did. Every Saturday, some Mondays and most Fridays, we went to Legends. We got wasted and danced it out. All our troubles, all our worries, all gone. I made great friends there. I lost great friends there. Importantly, I made great memories. Hundreds of them. I celebrated three of my own birthdays there and only remember two of them. Countless other birthday celebrations were had there too as well as engagement parties, hen dos, stag dos and other miscellaneous dos too. I fell in love there, fell out of love there, got over boys, got into girls. I grew up so much and got to act so much older than I am as well as be irresponsible and stupid, like eighteen year olds are. In the three years I went, I was only sick twice - probably a record for Legends' patrons - once because I'd been spiked earlier in the night and another because I had sunstroke and was dehydrated but didn't really realise it at the time...

Of the two, I think I'm more cut up about Trillians. Legends was my place but ever since Richie lost his job as the Saturday night DJ (because he pretty much played the same shit over and over) it just wasn't the same. It's decline was gradual. Trillians was torn away too soon.

Needless to say, I hope that something replaces them at the very least. Newcastle's rock scene could do with a reboot.

No comments:

Post a Comment